Sunday, May 22, 2011

exFAT for Windows XP

I respect the exFAT file system so much that I personnaly nicknamed it "DA Extremely Fast File System"

In the Honorable, Long Lasting and Reliable Windows XP, exFAT is available for update download and instalation!

I have formatted all of my USB Flash cards into the exFAT file system cause I know that all the operating systems from XP and above will understand it!

One of my friends has XP and when I plugged in my USB (exFAT formatted) it poped up and it said that I should format my USB! In order to use exFAT for Windows XP all I had to do was download an exFAT update(KB955704) from microsoft!

Although exFAT is designed for USB(removable disks), I risk using it on my second internal Hard Disk for all my web browsing(Temporary Internet Files) and downloads!


Install the following update in order to add support for the exFAT file system format on your computer using Windows XP!

If you are using Microsoft Windows XP Home, Proffesional and/or Media Center and if you like to take advantage of the latest less fragmenting and faster files system exFAT you'll need to download a specific Update for Windows (KB955704) from Microsoft!

This file system is mainly designed for usb flash drives,digital camera memory cards and other external devices in order to transfer files between computers and the devices.

And it's even mainly designed to support over 32GB drives since the old FAT or FAT32 file systems couldn't!

But I tried as personal technical experiment and formated some of my partitions on my computer since they are over 80GB drives as an exFAT file system rather then FAT32 or NTFS using the Command Prompt!

example Command Prompt: FORMAT D: /FS:exFAT /Q and press ENTER

And all I have to tell you is that When the drives used be formated as an NTFS File System my downloads would slow down tremendusly even after the 80GB partitions get to be only 10% full! And they would very quickly be fragmented!

But When I formated them as an exFAT file System, then even when I made the drives over 80% full my downloads still continue to download at a very fast speed as if my drives are still empty at the speed of 1mbps rather the the old and slow 90-230kbps when it was formated as an NTFS!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am still going to continue using Windows XP thanks to your tutorial! Now I don't have to worry about supporting large hard disk thanks to exFAT file system

Anonymous said...

It worked! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Need an updated link to download the patch from non-Microsoft server, please.